The Games will act as a catalyst for cities and regions’ long-term development plans, which include enhanced connections and cooperation between regional areas to improve the attractiveness of the mountains as a place to live. Sustainability and legacy programmes, which will be funded from both local authorities as well as private sector doners, ensure that project related to the Games support and benefit from larger development projects in the region. Not only will the Games compliment these plans, but also it will leave a lasting legacy by supporting them.
Specifically, the Games will support the following regional strategies:
The Milano 2030 Urban Development Plan
- This plan aims to transform Milan into Italy’s largest metropolitan hub, a green, liveable and resilient city. The Games will assist by enhancing connectivity between the City centre and outlying districts.
- The Games is expected to support projects such as the development of abandoned railway yards into environmental regeneration areas that include housing and community infrastructure.
Lombardy Regional Development Programme
- The Games will support and benefit from this plan that aims to invest in smart energy, sustainable urban mobility and socio-economic regeneration.
- The regional intends to promote local culture, infrastructure and connectivity through the Games.
- The Livingo Olympic Village that will be built for the Games in the region will remain as a permanent sports centre for training and preparation.
The Strategic Plan of the Veneto Region and the City of Cortina
- The Games will support the Veneto region and City of Cortina in their long-term strategic objectives in their aspirations to increase tourism.
- Local business will benefit from the platform that the Games will provide, an opportunity for worldwide recognition.
By integrating with and complimenting already existing regional development plans that Milano Cortina 2026 will ensure a long lasting legacy in Italy. It will also benefit from these ongoing projects to facilitate the efficiency and sustainability of the Games.
Source: Milano Cortina 2026 Foundation