As host of the 2026 Summer Youth Olympic Games, Dakar will become the first African city to host an Olympic event. Dakar 2026 has a vision to use the Games as a catalyst to spur economic and social development and seeks to promote the Games as a platform through which young Senegalese take centre stage in sporting, economic and social activities.
The Games will offer significant employment opportunities for young people in Senegal. Dakar 2026 undertook a study in 2022 to identify the potential jobs linked to the Youth Olympic Games and to to identify key sectors, such as construction, transport and tourism, where employment opportunities would be generated. Training programs are then being introduced to equip young people with relevant skills to match the opportunities.
The mapping of employment opportunities generated by the Games also aims to address capacity gaps in the local economy. For example, in exploring the transport sector and needs for the Games, the report identifies issues such as a dilapidated taxi fleet, lack of bus routes and the need for more cycle or footpaths. It suggests that by addressing these issues for the Games, and thus developing the local transport system, Dakar can generate over 2000 local jobs.
The process of the mapping study was as follows:
- Identified and listed 27 activities and services linked to the Games, including operation of ceremonies, medical services, transport, and security.
- Established the timeline of mobilisation with four broad periods; planning and mobilisation of local youth, follow up and finalisation of infrastructure, operation and opening of Games and legacy and heritage.
- Identification of employment that should be mobilised for the Games, in terms of both the sectors and specific skills needed.
- Provision of formal training related to the specific needs of the Games.
- Prioritisation based on the economic potential and sustainability of the employment. It analysed the economic benefit of each sector and job type and allocated resources to them accordingly.
- Provided a final list of the employment opportunities associated with the Games by sector so as to provide information to those seeking employment and to Dakar 2026. Approximately 140 types of employment were identified.
Source: Dakar 2026 Organising Committee